The first bridge of Besalú was probably built in the 11th century by Count Guillem el Gras (1030-1050). It was swept away by a flash flood in 1315, but was rebuilt thanks to a tax levied by King Jaume II.
Throughout the Middle Ages, horsemen crossing the bridge had to pay a toll of one diner, whereas foot travellers and laden beasts were charged one òbol each.
The bridge is 105m long, with a tower 30m high. The angle in the middle is due to the fact that the seven arches are supported by pillars mounted on unevenly distributed rocks in the riverbed. The bridge has been rebuilt several times over the centuries.
It was blown up during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) and rebuilt in the 1950s-1960s.
Today, the bridge is the symbol of Besalú, and the best way to access the old quarter