Castle of Count Arnau
Let yourself be seduced by the history, myths and legends of one of the most important medieval personages around Catalonia.
The legend of Count Arnau has become currently one of the most popular de Catalunya. Just as the quintessential Catalan myth and key figure of the origins of Catalonia. Popular narratives have become known rather for their kindness and Weeds not portraying the Count Arnau as the example of the noble feudal liberties taken badly mistreating his subjects, seducing the ladies and defrauded the soldiers. According to legends, this, as a result of sins committed, was condemned to wander the earth forever, even after his death. And many nights camp with your horse in the environment Gombrèn Township.
- Guided visit to the Comte Arnau Museum in Gombrèn (historical evolution of the castle and the Mataplana family).
- Visit to the Gorg dels Banyuts (a pool related to the legend, where we explain the myths and legends related to el Compte Arnau). The Gorg dels Banyuts is a natural area with limited space.
- Visit to the Castle of Mataplana (identification of the remains currently visible). From the car park to the Castle we should walk about 400 meters through a trail with no difficulty.
- Entrance to the Castle and Museum.
Rate does not include:
- Transfers, that should be done in private cars. There are two trips of about 2.5 km each.
- Last Sunday each month at 11:00. During August, there are visits every Sunday.
- Duration: around 2h 30min
- Plaça del Roser, Gombrèn.
End of the guided tour:
- Castle of Mataplana, 13:30.
- Catalan and Spanish. English upon reservation.
- Gombrèn Museum is adapted for disabled people. At the pool at Gorg dels Banyuts and the Castle of Mataplana there are stairs that are not adapted. Access to the pond is not possible for disabled people, as stairs are very steep, but access to the castle is possible by car, avoiding de 400 meter long trail. Please inform us in advance.
*Minimum recommended age is 7 years old.
*A minimum of 6 adults is required to complete the activity.