Ripoll, cradle of Catalan culture
Enjoy a fascinating visit to the emblematic Monastery of Santa Maria de Ripoll and its Portalada candidate for World Heritage of UNESCO.The Monastery of Ripoll is an emblem of the country and soul of a land that is the origin of what will later become Catalonia. To visit Santa Maria de Ripoll is to approach one of the most beautiful and evocative buildings in Catalonia. The monumental Portalada, located on the western façade, dates from the middle of the 12th century and was designed as a triumphal arch. It is a unique work, both because of its shape and because of the richness and complexity of the iconographic program. Also known as the Bible in stone, the Portalada del Monasterio de Ripoll is a Romanesque capital and an impressive piece of art. The double-floor cloister, another Romanesque jewel, was built in several stages and highlights the north wing with richly adorned capitals, which belongs to the twelfth century. Inside the church of Santa Maria de Ripoll are the tombs of Count Guifré el Velloso and Ramón Berenguer III, among others. With a very clear expository discourse, museographic techniques and interactive and technological tools, the Interpretation Center of the Monastery gives the keys to understand the historical transcendence of the Monastery of Santa Maria de Ripoll, and takes us into the different dimensions: historical, national, religious , social and cultural.
The price includes:
- Visit the Interpretation Center, the Portalada (candidate for UNESCO World Heritage), the Basilica, the Necropolis and the Cloister.
- Every Sunday at 12 a.m.
- During the month of August: from Monday to Sunday, at 12 a.m. and at 4:30 p.m.
- Duration of the activity: 1h 30 min.
- Closed: 01/01, 06/01, 25/12 and 26/12.
- Tourist Office of Ripoll, located next to the Monastery and where is the Interpretation Center of the Monastery.
- The guided tours are in Catalan. There is the possibility of performing them in Spanish by reservation. In August there are two daily visits, one in Catalan and the other in Spanish.
- At the Interpretation Center:
- Audiovisuals are in Catalan, Spanish, English and French.
- The written content is in Catalan, and some room sheets are offered to visitors with content in Spanish, English and French.
- The Interpretation Center, the Portalada and the Basilica can be accessed by wheelchair. In the rest of the spaces (Necropolis and Cloister) there are stairs to access.
Rang de preu