Goatherd for a day
Do you fancy a day out in the country and the chance to learn how to be a goatherd for a day?Come to La Garrotxa for a weekend in which you will learn to be a goatherd for a day with "Pere de les cabres". Take the herd out to graze and then learn how to milk the females.
Being a goatherd is more of a way of life than a job–a way of being constantly in touch with nature. A great day out for the whole family, or with your partner or a bunch of friends.
On your first day in La Garrotxa you will enjoy a hot-air balloon flight over the volcanoes, which you can round off in the morning with a hearty breakfast in the installations of Vol de Coloms.
That night you will sleep in Mas El Ferrés, a rural farmhouse where on the following morning you can begin the day with a breakfast of healthy local products.
After you go for a ride on electric bicycles through the attractive Vall d’en Bas to the farm of ‘Pere de les Cabres’, a young Garrotxa goatherd, where you will be able to milk the goats and learn about the arts and secrets of this age-old occupation. After this, you will accompany Pere and his herd through the delightful Vall de Riudaura and will be able to ‘share’ your picnic with the goats in the middle of a pasture! Later on it will be time to see how the goat’s cheese is made and to taste a slice or two, accompanied by the sound of the goatherd’s accordion and a locally made artisanal wine.
On your way back on the electric bicycles, you can stop in villages such as El Malloll or Hostalets where the locally famous baker makes exquisite bread and cakes.
The price includes:
- 2 nights with breakfast and half board in the farmhouse Mas El Ferrés (3 ears of wheat) of Joanetes
- Being a goatherd for a day
- Wine and cheese tasting with the goatherd.
- A cup of coffee in the installations of Vol de Coloms whilst you watch us – or help! – prepare the hot-air balloon.
- Hearty local breakfast in the Vol de Coloms restaurant, open only to passengers and their companions.
- The flight lasts approximately 1h – 1.30h.
- Cava and a slice of coca de llardons, a local savoury cake, during the flight.
- Awarding of flight certificate signed by the pilot.
- Transport by 4×4 vehicle from the landing site back to our installations.
- Exclusive benefits for passengers and their companions if the flight is a birthday gift or any other type of special family celebration.
- Electric bicycles and the helmet.
- Practical electrical bicycle training
- English, French, Spanish and Catalan
- The experience is accessible for people with reduced mobility and wheelchair users. Adapted basket with door and seating. Adapted vehicle with room for one person. The facilities are also available.
- Please ask for prices for children (5–12 years). Single-room supplement. Activities subject to the weather forecast.
*Pack minimum 2 persons.